Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Official: Prince William and Kate Middleton are engaged!

Yes, you are reading that correctly. It's not just another misleading tabloid headline. They are officially engaged.

Many people thought it would never happen. Myself included. There were ups and downs and there was no certainty about anything. People felt it was a foregone conclusion that because they had been together so long, it was inevitable. But still Prince William kept people guessing, until this morning when I woke up to the news that many royal watchers had been waiting for. Half-asleep and bleary eyed I nearly fell out of bed reading about the news on Twitter. Until I saw an official announcement on the Queen's website I was skeptical. Like I said before, we've been down this road before with people jumping at attention grabbing headlines.

This news comes as a shock for another reason. Although there were predictions that an announcement would be made soon, there is no precedent for doing so this late in the year. Royal engagements are usually announced at the beginning of the year. Prince William had completely bucked tradition and taken all of us off guard.

Is this a sign that the monarchy is heading in a new direction? Only Prince William knows for sure.

Congratulations to the happy couple!

© Marilyn Braun 2010

4 comments:

Shane Gilreath said...

Ordinarily, she would become HRH Princess William of Wales, but I'll be curious about titles, and whether the queen bestows a dukedom. I rather think I like the TRH Prince and Princess William of Wales until they would become TRH The Prince and The Princess of Wales, sometime, we'll all hope and pray, in the distant future. Keeps things nice and tidy.

If I had to choose a ducal title, perhaps, Cambridge would be my preference, for it's familiar tie to Queen Mary.

Marilyn Braun said...

Yes, I believe that would be her official title in absence of a dukedom.

Had Charles not been POW, Diana's title would have been Princess Charles. Not very romantic sounding for a new princess.

My guess is the Dukedom of Cambridge. Or maybe Clarence? A tie in with the Queen Mother perhaps given it was her residence for so long. With Wills giving Kate his mother's ring, I can see the sentiment continuing.

Hopefully they don't carry it to marrying on July 29th at St Paul's. Exactly 30 years ago to the day Charles and Diana were married. Doubt they will but you never know.

The Court Jeweller said...

Great news! I knew you'd be thrilled, Marilyn. :)

Anonymous said...

It definitely took me off guard, but it was a welcome surprise, and for once the rumors were right!