Friday, March 14, 2008

Royal Rant: The succession question

Ah yes, a new poll which includes the question about who people would prefer to succeed the Queen: William or Charles.

I already wrote about this in my article: The Sport of Royal Watchers, so it should be clear on how I feel about the subject. So I'm not going to focus on that. What I will focus on is the paragraph:

So, let me state categorically, for the record, that barring any tragedy..he (Prince Charles) will succeed the Queen as the next King. No Angus Reid poll, heated message board discussions, or your personal opinion on the matter will change that.

When that paragraph was written, it was in the heat of the moment. First of all, regardless of how strongly I feel about this subject, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And there are differing opinions. The comments make that clear. However, when this question is asked I think it focuses less on whether Charles is a capable future monarch and more about Prince William and his good looks. That's probably what bothers me the most about it. Charles is next in line to succeed. Again, barring any unforeseen tragedy, he will become king. It's not a question, it's a fact.

I'm wagering a guess that the people who choose Prince William, answer this question with the Charles/Diana/Camilla tabloid triangle in the back of their minds. Just my opinion. What do most people know of Charles otherwise? Maybe play a word association game in your mind. What is the first thing that comes to you when you think of Charles: Ears? Diana? Tampons? Camilla? I'll be honest, some of these things do come to my mind. But they don't distract from whether he's capable of being a good king. It never occurs to me that the monarchy should skip a generation. Because it can't.

I'm not a monarchist, I'm not necessarily a die-hard fan of Prince Charles. But he's next in line to be King. That's it. No poll results change that. Other than looking the most like Diana, and being young, what qualifies Prince William replace Charles? It's a fact that he will. Eventually. But what are people basing their answer in choosing William? Maybe that's a poll in itself?

I have now grown resigned to the question of whether the succession should skip a generation. But that won't stop me from ranting about it.

© Marilyn Braun 2008

No comments: