Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Kate Middleton story of the week

It seems like a week cannot go by without someone speculating/betting/predicting/announcing the imminent engagement of Prince William and his girlfriend Kate Middleton. For royal insiders and watchers alike, it seems to be a popular pastime. With the top four royals still alive, Camilla recovering from surgery, Mary and Maxima pregnant, and Harry going to Iraq, we're starved for some news. Any news.

Now we have someone who says he's 'in the know'. Photographer Arthur Edwards claims that William himself told him that he plans to marry Kate. When and where are incidental to keeping the flame alive. But predictions come and go. Most recently there were rumours it would happen on Valentine's Day. When February 14th came and went without nary a proposal, no problem. It gives us more time to speculate about next Valentine's Day.

After all, everyone loves a royal engagement. Spring is coming, and love is in the air. When the Queen (then Princess Elizabeth) married Prince Philip in 1947, the wedding gave a touch of much needed glamour after the war. Charles and Diana's 1981 engagement distracted from recession, high unemployment and chronic rioting. Prince Andrew's wedding in 1986 and Prince Edward's in 1999 were minor bright spots while waiting for Prince William to come of age.

An engagement for William, while not necessarily lifting the spirit of the nation or distracting from challenging economic times, would be...uh....cool. After all, it's been almost two years since the last wedding. Souvenir makers, dress designers, newspaper reporters, authors, photographers, stamp makers, and the Republicans wait to offer their wares. Do we ever really hear from the Republican's otherwise?

Newspapers would look for angles. Does she have a former nanny? She must have something new to add. Noted psychics will predict if the marriage will last. Astrologers chart whether William and Kate are astrologically compatable. Then there are the former paramours. Unlike Diana, she probably hasn't 'kept herself tidy for what lay ahead', but nowadays (and realistically) bridal virtue isn't a pre-requisite. Yet, it's still newsworthy to find out whether her heart was broken or whether she callously cast aside men on her path to glory.

Yes, we would get all sorts of tidbits about Kate. Some Starbucks barista would tell us about what type of coffee Kate likes to drink. Would it be a non-fat latte? If not, she needs to switch so she can fit into 'the dress'. We would hear from more of Kate's classmates and teachers. Ancestry would be traced. Cute baby pictures produced. The family would demand privacy. People would be misquoted.....

But, until and engagement is announced, that's another Kate Middleton story.

© Marilyn Braun 2007

9 comments:

Bk30 said...

oh, such the crush I had on young Andrew, I thought Fergie such a lucky girl. Of course I was in the 8th grade at the time. LOL

Marilyn Braun said...

I have to say that even though I'm 12 years younger than Andrew, I too had a crush on him. There was no way he would have been interested in me (I was 14 in 1986) but I was still disappointed by his engagement nonetheless. :)

Of all of the marriages of the Queen's children, I really thought that his would last, and to an extent, because they still have such a good relationship, it gives me some hope that they might actually get back together. Unlikely but I still hope for a happy ending for them.

Unknown said...

I love reading about stuff like this. I always complain about tabloid newspapers/magazines, paparazzi, etc., but I love hearing about the gossip surround royalty. I haven't figured out why, really.

And now I have a credible source! Hurrah!

Andrea Allison said...

I heard a few rumors about William proposing to Kate. I think if they do get married I hope it lasts. I would hate for it turn out like his parent's marriage.

Susan Gunelius said...

While marrying the future king of England would be very cool, I don't think I could take all the scrutiny of being in the spotlight like that. Marriage is hard enough without the whole world watching!

Talia said...

I've read so much speculation I thought they were already engaged. It seems like she's being groomed. Meanwhile the boys run amok

Allie Boniface said...

You know, I never really thought about royal marriages being tied to political needs, but you're right.

I actually just wish everyone would leave poor Wm and Kate alone. They seem to be having the time of their lives together, and good for them!

And - gulp - what happens if they decide to break up? Will England crumble to its knees in disappointment?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe William is all grown up and of marrying age! Time flies, and I'm starting to feel a bit old. LOL!

Marilyn Braun said...

Yes, I remember the day he was born - hearing it on the radio. I'm only 10 years older than him and I feel the same way!